Draconian to say the least… New Yorks new gun laws are now official. Effective immediately. I already told you about the 7 round mag limits… Here is the rest of whats in the bill that they didnt even take the time to read. Yes, their governor evoked emergency procedures to rush the law through, and it became effective law the second his pen stopped signing.
- Police would create a registry of assault weapons. Those New Yorkers who already own such weapons would be required to register their guns with the state. Current state law defines assault weapons as having two “military rifle” features, but the legislation reduces that specification to just one feature and makes the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor.
- Private sales of assault weapons to people outside the immediate family circle would be subject to a background check and online sales of assault weapons would be banned.
- Magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. If an owner is found to have eight or more bullets in a magazine, she could face a misdemeanor charge.
- Ammunition dealers are required to do background checks, similar to those for gun buyers, and those sales and amounts must be reported to the state.
- The proposed measure would require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours.
- The measure would also enshrine a system through which mental health professionals would be required to report to officials when they believe their patients may harm themselves or others. In such cases, police would be allowed to confiscate any guns owned by a potentially dangerous patient.
Well, well, well, would you look at that… after all the hub-bub about “assault weapons”, this bill will not take a single “assault weapon” off the streets. They will only need to be registered with the state.
So explain to me how this makes everyone safer? If “assault weapons” are the root of all evil, if “assault weapons” caused Sandy Hook, then how does this bill change anything? It doesnt. This is nothing more than the exploitation of a tragedy to achieve a political end. New Yorkers, weep for your state. Then move away as quickly as you can.